MERCI Clinic is committed to providing confidential medical, limited dental, and pharmaceutical services to individuals who have no health insurance and are of limited income regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, religion, or other legally protected status.
MERCI is a perfect example of the community coming together to make one vision come to fruition.
MERCI Clinic is a free clinic serving low income, uninsured residents of Craven, Jones, and Pamlico counties. It has been in operation since 1996. Dr. Ralph Redding, Beverlee Redding, the Rev. Caroline West (Christ Church’s assistant rector) came together and established a community group along with Sonya Moore of Religious Community Services, Matthew 25 (a nonprofit organization from Christ Church), Monica Parker (East Carolina University instructor), and community member Harriet Milde. After a period of research, the original staff agreed to model their organization after a free clinic in Roanoke, Virginia. The clinic opened on August 20, 1996, with only two examination tables, servicing patients on a one night per week schedule. Its facilities were established in the Phoenix House, a drug rehab unit.
MERCI Clinic became incorporated as a nonprofit organization on May 22, 1997. Due to a rapid increase of patients, more space was required, and the organization rented commercial space at 411 Broad Street. The new facility opened in August 1997 and saw 10 to 15 patients each evening. In 2001, the clinic board secured a grant to purchase of the former ENT Physicians building at 1315 Tatum Drive—its present location. At this time, we employ three full-time employees (one is a MedServe fellow) and seven part-time employees.
To see our accomplishments through the years by the numbers, please visit our Snapshots page.
MERCI Clinic has been recognized by the North Carolina Association of Free Clinics as one of the most successful free clinics in the state based on patient outcomes.